Us writer-types

So, as usual, my parents in an attempt to gain publicity for my not-so-good writing wanted me to send in an entry for the Eastern Region Defense magazine thingy.
Their way of motivating me to do the same-
"People actually read this magazine honey!"
Now, whoever said that parents don't say the right things.
Anyhow, it started this morning and I spent the last 4 hours trying to pick one non-depressing story that people will get. My only instructions.
Nothing about abuse, sex or death.
That ruled out 80% of my writing. Now, before you go away screaming, not all of it is depressing. I wrote some fantasy-genre-imagination-magical realism-type stories too which can be found here-
http://byrdyee.blogspot.com/2011/04/candy-castle.html and here;
http://byrdyee.blogspot.com/2011/10/dreams-of-cherie.html
but seemingly I was high while writing this. I remember very little.

So, it came down to three stories. One was about death (I write about nothing else, whatdoIdo?!); the second about alienation in a foreign land; and the third about moving on from death.

Now, this third story, 'Only One Allowed' is a story close to my heart. I wrote it a few weeks after the death of my maternal grandmother; who still is the person closest to my heart and whom I miss the most. Though I cried and cried for days after; four people(the only ones that matter) claimed this was the perfect one to send in.

Somewhere I feel this is a betrayal. This pimping out of my story to gain recognition; but in the end; aren't all writers doing just that. And though I am ages away from that Booker Prize I don't want; writing was and still is therapeutic.
I hadn't put up this story on the blog yet. It's the one below. Read and leave a comment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the perfect evening

Because I can't sing an angst-filled rock ballad and make people fall in love with me