A letter to Mom and Dad

Dear mom and dad, it is just as well that you will not read this. God bless technology. This is not next on the list of letters to be written but I need to write this. I need to be furious enough to get out all the frustration of the last two months. And maybe by the end of this letter, I will let it go. Who knows.
You know I love you. So I'm not wasting time saying that. I need to tell you about the amazingly vast gap between us over the last two months. I don't know how, or why, but seemingly you can't understand me anymore. Or maybe I have lost the patience to try and make you understand.
Mom, I am like you; and I love the fact but I'm not someone who takes all that suffering and bottles it up and doesn't say anything. I care about everything; maybe a little too much and I need to tell you. I need to get angry; and scream and shout and I will be okay. But for those ten minutes/half hour/two days; let me be.
Dad, I love you most in this world. You are my first best friend and will always be; but you need to stop being  stubborn and understand me. I am not a child; I know what I am doing. Even if I don't have an informed decision of my career yet; I know that I will do something enough to support myself. I want to become a writer and I want to help society. I can't bear the thought of the Civil Services because that is your dream not mine. If you come back home and berate me about my weight, I will go out of my way to NOT go to the gym. I am a teenager; we do things like this. I love you for 75% of the day. But that remaining time; I hate you and I don't want that. I was never the girl who cribbed about her parents and I don't want to be now. But  you gotta loosen the strings a little; you're suffocating me.
me

Comments

  1. I really can't comment or criticize on this, because you have courageously written from your heart. I have no right to patronize or question your feelings. No one has. But I will say one thing-- Don't you dare feel guilty.
    -Yoga

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

pearls of wisdom

Popular posts from this blog

the perfect evening

Because I can't sing an angst-filled rock ballad and make people fall in love with me