Dear Ma'am


*write a letter to someone/anyone*
When I first saw this on my tumblr challenge, I thought of writing this letter to my imaginary/future boyfriend; asking him to get here soon. just like all the girls my age i wonder if i'm normal to have not had the inclination to like anyone yet.
then i decided i need to set things straight with my best friend whom i dont talk to very frequently. but then again, i can just call her.
for the last one week i've been deliberating on getting you something. to thank you for the last two years in college. basically, a book. but you've probably read everything that exists. i thought i'd ask susan ma'am but she'd probably tell you and then you wouldn't let me.
so i figured i'd write you a letter.
when i joined this college i had serious doubts. i didn't want ot end up in a college in chennai, no matter how academically good it is. i wanted to go to bombay, to xaviers. i was anyhow doing literature. i didn't think it mattered. and despite all my claims, i was prejudiced enough to only see an old lady with an accent not making any sense.
but in college, the very first day, you took class for us. rather you sat down with us to try and understand, why at all were we there. daunting task i believe. i didn't know the answer myself. all my first impressions were proved wrong and thank god for it. sheela ma'am, you are one of the teachers i will remember forever, as one of those who taught me what literature really was. i wouldn't read much of indian fiction out of ignorance but thanks to you. i now read it the most. i don't make judgments based on how much i love/hate an author but based on the work, his/her sensitivity and while we all joke about how you ask us to internalize- it's sound advice. i think everyone knows it but won't say so.
but more than anything, you, along with susan ma'am made me love literature. you made me want to teach this subject and for that i'll be eternally grateful.
i can't wax eloquent lines on how the sun and moon revolve around you. but if, and when, i achieve something in life and want to tell someone; i hope i have your number because i'll come and tell you.
i didn't intend for it to be this sappy. sorry. never really understood how to write a formal letter. even one of sheer gratitude.
thank you ma'am.
[you will probably never read this because i won't have the guts to come give this to you. but i hope you do.]

Comments

  1. I love it :)
    Show it to her. I insist :)
    I love how open you are, for the world to see. I'd love to have the guts someday. Even if only on a blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Sush said. If you're too scared though, you could send her an anonymous email with this link in it. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sush and Iffat are right. You have to show this to her. You'll make her really really happy. You can just write it and leave it on her table or something. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand why you would have felt hesitant about writing this letter to Ms.Sheela.
    Our professors are rather intimidating..... or do they project that image? I never really told you this because I thought you would be embarrassed , but Ms. Sheela has a very high opinion of you Avi. I am pretty sure that she will always remember you and Lisa from our batch as outstanding students.... Now don't blush, you know it's the truth:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

pearls of wisdom

Popular posts from this blog

the perfect evening

Because I can't sing an angst-filled rock ballad and make people fall in love with me